[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "RP Smith" <rpsmith at hotmail dot com>
 To:  knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] More VoIP Traffic Shaping Questions
 Date:  Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:22:39 -0600
Give this a try:

1. setup a dhcp lease so your VOIP adapter will always have the same IP.
2. add a "VOIP" alais for the above IP.
3. setup a single traffic shaper pipe with a size of ~90% of your upstream
bandwith.
4. setup 4 Queues: 60 (60/W up), 30 (30/W up), 8 (8/W up) and 2 (2/W up).
5. setup traffic shaper rules:
    WAN <-   *   VOIP   *   60/W up
    WAN <-   *   ????   *   60/W up   ; other high priority traffic
    WAN <-   *   ????   *    8/W up   ; low priority traffic
    WAN <-   *   ????   *    2/W up   ; very low priority traffic
    WAN <-   *    *      *   30/W up   ; the default med priority traffic

Roy...
-----------------------------------

That's great advice, I did try that earlier and I think I may have found the
source of the issue.

I created (2) download pipes and (2) upload pipes.  One set of pipes is
tweaked for the maximum bandwidth I can get from my ISP which is (1.5MB
Down/ 768 K/b Up).  The second set of download/upload pipes are set at a
static 256 K/bs limit, both upload and download.  I assigned my workstation
a static IP address. I assigned my VoIP gizmo another separate static IP
address.  I create a set for rules for my VoIP gizmo, I give it the maximum
bandwidth pipe.  I create another set of rules for my workstation, giving it
the much more limited and slower pipes.  I run a speed test on my
workstation and it confirms I'm limited to 256 K/bs both up and down.  I
dial up a generic phone number that has a really long automated attendant
menu for testing.  With the VoIP only, everything is nice and smooth.  If I
go to cnn.com on my workstation and begin watching one of their news clips.
At the same time, I dial that number again.  This time, it's terrible lag
and gaps.  I check the m0n0wall CPU monitor, only 5% max CPU being used.  I
check the m0n0wall traffic monitor and I can see a problem there.  While
watching the streaming movie, it's "breaking" through the 256 K/bs barrier
in spots, when this happens, it causes my VoIP phone to gap and lag.  I
think the problem is in the traffic shaping feature, it doesn't seem to be
able to "enforce" the pipe cap properly and this I believe is what causes
the VoIP problems that show up whether it's on or off.  Since this doesn't
involve using the packet queue, it's possible that the original setup I had
would work properly if the pipes could hold back the bandwidth properly.  I
haven't had a chance to test the queue system with two workstations to see
if the weights really make a difference yet or not.  So far it seems the
traffic shaping system is broken or not working the way it was designed
(generic 1.21 PC image) because it doesn't seem to always enforce the pipes,
which it maybe why the VoIP packets get "bumped" out so to speak.

Any feedback on my findings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael