[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] More VoIP Traffic Shaping Questions
 Date:  Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:29:22 -0600
Thanks,
I gave this try, still doesn't seem to work. For giggles, I tried using
the old D-link DGL-4300 Gaming router. I has some very limited traffic
shaping features to use, but should be enough for me to see if any of my
equipment is at fault.  The same connection speed worked just fine with
basic rules to bump the VoIP gizmo to the top of the packet priority
list.  I could download, watch movies, etc without any phone lag.
Switch back to the m0n0wall and the problem comes back.  I'm convinced
now that something in the m0n0wall traffic shaping isn't working like it
should.  My last attempt at traffic shaping came when I lowered my
download speed to an even 1024 K/bps and Upload to an even 512 K/bps on
the pipes.  I did a few speed test, they came up about exact on the
download/upload speed.  I made sure it was nothing but the VoIP and my
workstation using the Internet.  Did a quick phone test with no
workstation activity, no problems heard.  Did the same test, but this
time started to watch a streaming movie and the phone call was so bad, I
couldn't hear anything.  I found the source of the problem to be pipes.
No matter what hard limit you set for them, it seems your clients can
always bust out of it for a few milliseconds.  This is what causes the
gaps in the VoIP calls and so far I have not found a way to work around
this problem.  I've tried lowering one set of pipes for the workstation
to 384 K/bps and yet it still can bust out of the pipe to hit a 1.38
M/bps spike while watching a streaming movie.  If I do a straight file
download from a website, it seems to stay under the 384 K/bps pipe
limit, but it seems visiting a website or watching a streaming movie; it
is able to break the rules of the pipe.  This I am certain is the base
of the problem for VoIP traffic shaping. With the pipes so easy to
break, nothing is left for the VoIP gizmo and thus gaps and drag are
heard in the conversation.  I should probably post this to the
developers and get their feedback.  Right now, my only question is, does
it relate to the speed to the machine using m0n0wall? Right now I'm
using a PII 266 MHz machine with 128MB RAM, (2) Linksys TX100 Network
cards.  If anyone has any more info or things to try, I'm willing to try
anything to avoid using my old D-link router again.

Thanks,
Michael