[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Simon Buob" <simon dot buob at lan dot ch>
 To:  "Jonathan Karras" <jkarras at karras dot net>, "Jeppe Oland" <uxorious at acon dot dezign dot dk>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: 2nd (public) IP on the WAN interface?
 Date:  Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:48:15 +0100
>Are you using the correct address for your cable modem. Most of the
>modems I have seen use 192.168.100.1 not 192.168.0.1.

I would have a look at the arp Table...
What kind of Cable Modem is in use (Samsung, Terayon, Motorola..?)

Some Modems *must* be disconnected from the CATV to be contacted.
The cable modem IP address 192.168.100.1 is not in the same sub-net
as the user's PC. So, when trying to send to 192.168.100.1, the user
PC's IP stack will normally route the packet to the Default Gateway
address at the UBR. Since no routes exist to the private address
192.168.100.1 (and there are multiple instances of this IP address
on any one CATV segment), the UBR drops the packet.

You Could add a static Route.

Simon