[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] More VoIP Traffic Shaping Questions
 Date:  Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:05:26 -0600
Has anyone had any luck with this? I noticed that if I turn the traffic
shaping on or off, it doesn't seem to make a difference.  If I have one
download going at full bandwidth and then try to make a call, I hear a
lot of gaps and lag at first, then the call smooths out.  It does this
with traffic shaping on or off, so I'm wondering if the traffic shaping
is really making a difference for the VoIP phone.  From what I've
discovered in testing out the traffic shaping, it doesn't really set
packet priority, only the amount of bandwidth that is shared on a given
pipe size based on the weight. I've tried creating just a few traffic
shaping rules where a certain VoIP gizmo gets 99 weight queue of a pipe
and everyone else gets 1 weight and I still see no difference between
traffic shaping on or off for VoIP calls.  My theory is that VoIP
traffic is just to small for traffic shaping to work with it, but I
would like to hear what others think.

Thanks,
Michael