[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jukka Ruotsalainen <jukka dot ruotsalainen at cs dot helsinki dot fi>
 To:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] More VoIP Traffic Shaping Questions
 Date:  Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:24:12 +0200
KnightMB wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck with this? I noticed that if I turn the traffic
> shaping on or off, it doesn't seem to make a difference.  If I have one
> download going at full bandwidth and then try to make a call, I hear a
> lot of gaps and lag at first, then the call smooths out.  It does this
> with traffic shaping on or off, so I'm wondering if the traffic shaping
> is really making a difference for the VoIP phone.  From what I've
> discovered in testing out the traffic shaping, it doesn't really set
> packet priority, only the amount of bandwidth that is shared on a given
> pipe size based on the weight. I've tried creating just a few traffic
> shaping rules where a certain VoIP gizmo gets 99 weight queue of a pipe
> and everyone else gets 1 weight and I still see no difference between
> traffic shaping on or off for VoIP calls.  My theory is that VoIP
> traffic is just to small for traffic shaping to work with it, but I
> would like to hear what others think.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Hello!
I send you PM, but MAKE SURE that you have a catch all rule in your
queues and assigned with queue, if you do NOT have the there the traffic
  goes "over" the shaper.

also some small packet prior should help.

Yes, it really does not set priority, it guarantees all packets to
delivery (normal cases, enough memory for buffer) and does not drop packets.

but generally, if you create 99 an 1 queues, the 99 gets more bandwidth
and so on packets moves faster than packet in 1 queue.

Jukka