[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rob Parker <rob dot parker at keycom dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  1.21r91 and 802.1q VLAN tagging
 Date:  Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:03:29 -0000
Hi all,

I'm trying to use Jonathan's 1.22r91 image to test the VLAN tagging support
of m0n0wall before I begin developing some patches for per-user bandwidth
control in the captive portal, however I am having some problems...

I have a small testbed setup here with a Cisco 2950-48 and three ports
configured for my testing - one for m0n0wall lan, one for m0n0wall wan, and
one as a test user. The Cisco config is as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/2
 description m0n0-lan
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 20-25
 switchport mode trunk
end

interface FastEthernet0/17
 description m0n0-wan
 switchport access vlan 2
end

interface FastEthernet0/3
 description subscriber 1
 switchport access vlan 20
end

As you can see, fa0/3 is my 'test user' port on untagged vlan 20, fa0/2 is
the m0n0wall LAN interface, is trunked (as dot1q) and has allowed vlans
20-25. The m0n0wall WAN port is on untagged vlan 2 (this is a vlan valid on
our internal network and has a route out to the internet for testing - I
don't think this is important to this problem, though).

m0n0wall is configured with vlan tags 20,21,22,23,24 and 25 on em0 (the LAN
interface of my test box).

No traffic flows from the user port (fa0/3) to the m0n0wall LAN port
(fa0/2). If I add a native vlan with tag 20 to the LAN port (fa0/2), it
works fine, but without this no traffic will flow.

I have also used exec.php to set 'ifconfig em0 vlanhwtag' to force the card
to enable VLAN hardware tagging support (which em supports), but this does
not help.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is anyone using the VLAN tagging support
successfully? I've also tried the 1.3a3 FreeBSD 6 image, but exactly the
same problem occurs. Any pointers or information would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Rob.

---

Rob Parker
Network and Systems Administrator
Keycom PLC

t: +44 (0) 1785 717412
m: +44 (0) 7973 912536
e: rob dot parker at keycom dot co dot uk