[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Masquerading problems
 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:15:22 -0500
On 3/8/06, Mattia Martinello <liste at mattiamartinello dot com> wrote:

> > sounds like the default gateway isn't set properly on that 67.254
> > host, needs to be set to 67.252.
>
> Why? There is no need to setup a default  gateway on m0n0wall, because
> 67.254 is on the same network of 67.252, and I can ping it from m0n0wall..

Of course you can.  It's on the same network.  Your LAN interface,
however, is NOT on the same network.  Therefore to access anything
outside of that 67 network, the 67.254 host has to know it needs to
use 67.252 to route to other networks.  This is basic IP networking,
you can't get to any network other than your local network without a
properly configured gateway.

-Chris