[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kirk Ferguson" <gkferguson at gmail dot com>
 To:  "MonoWall-General List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Compatibility Questions m0n0wall / Cisco Catalyst (and about vLAN)
 Date:  Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:31:31 -0700
> In other words - my switch cant deal with VLAN trunking because this
> is only for Switches with Cisco IOS 12.x available???

It's possible that your older Cisco switch does only Cisco's
proprietary ISL vlan tagging, not the modern 802.1q standard now used
for vlans.  First Cisco gear implemented ISL, and then later both ISL
and dot1q, and eventually dropped ISL support completely.

> I also are not really sure what are differents between vlan and VLAN
> trunking.

Vlan trunking allows traffic from more than one vlan to be carried on
a single link.  In a typical configuration, most network ports will be
"access" ports, which connect a single device to the network and
belong to a single vlan.  Ports which need to carry traffic from more
than one vlan, "trunk" ports, are used for special cases such as links
between switches or to servers or routers.

Kirk