[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Johnny Johns <srbassalot at yahoo dot com>
 To:  Tarun Kundhi <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>, Daniel Solsona <dsolsona at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] setup issues w/ cable/Dsl router
 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:59:34 -0800 (PST)
That is the kind of help I was hoping for :-)
I will put that to good use...

Thanks so much Tarun
JJ

Tarun Kundhi <tkundhi at inebraska dot com> wrote: Since your object is to simply keep the SMC 7004 ABR for
its print servering
abilities I would suggest trying the following.

DSL -->(WAN) monowall (LAN) --> (LAN) SMC

Set the monowall to be the DHCP server. Set the SMC LAN address to a static
IP address on the monowall subnet. Set the SMC DNS server to the monowall
LAN interface ip address. And be sure to turn the DMS DHCP server off.

I've successfully used this approach on SMC & Netgear wireless routers to
turn them into access points.

 69.23.134.68 monowall WAN
192.168.1.1 monowall LAN interface
monowall DHCP 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.30
enable monowall DNS forwarder
SMC 192.168.1.10 (besure to turn DHCP off)

Now the SMC device will act as a switch. Once you have it working you can
reserve the SMC's ip address in the monowall DNS forwarder page.

You will probably need to change youw Window Printer configuration for the
new SMC ip address.

t.