[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Disable WebGUI and use Shell only?
 Date:  Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:13:41 -0600
From: "Jimmy Bones (Mhottie)" <mhottie at gmail dot com>

> Is there a way to disable the webgui and configure/access via shell/ssh
> only?

No.  First, m0n0wall has no shell.  Second, the web GUI is not a config
tool, but the backbone of the system.

> Or maybe run the webgui on an odd port, etc? Have the console menu dump
> into
> a shell login prompt instead of console menu, etc?

Pick any port.  And run it with ssl if you want.

> I ask because we are going to setup a m0n0 box in a small office that has
> several nosy people in it that will want to start "playing with settings".
> would like to do the inital config in the webgui, then disable it and
> continue to configure via a shell, etc. and keep it that way.

This is not a technical problem, and can not be solved with a technical
solution.  However, the new Sarbanes Oxley regulations can be your friend
here.  "I am not sure about this.  Isn't giving access to the firewall to
people not on the security team a violation of Sarbanes-Oxley?  Should we
ask legal, or the auditors?"

                        Lee