[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "Willem van Dam" <willemv at setnorbyer dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] IPsec VPN and M$ Windows Domain
 Date:  Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:47:45 -0600
Willem van Dam wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have 2 locations (main and remote) connected to each other via
> IPsec VPN via 2 m0n0walls.
> At the main location I have a Windows 2003 domain server.
> How can I make it possible for the computers at the remote location
> to logon to the domain?
> I edited the host file on the remote computer and I can map network
> drives and printers but I would like to logon to the domain if
> possible.

Does the remote site have a server? If not consider setting up a DC in
the remote location. This will allow only changes to be synced between
the sites. The new DC can be in the same "SITE" as fare as the Active
Directory is concerned.

I assume that the remote site is a workgroup. You can add the computers
into the domain and have the users use domain logins. But the login
process will be slow due to the network bottleneck of going across the
VPN. This is why a DC in the remote location would help things.

James W. McKeand