[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PC doesn't boot
 Date:  Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:02:28 -0600
From: <listen at kabelshop dash online dot com>

> sadly I've some trouble booting a PC. I gunziped the pc-generic image and
> dd'ed (on Linux) it to a CF-Card. (Some Kingston 128MB card) and tried to
> boot the system with some IDE-CF adapter. For some reason, the bios has
> some trouble, detecting / understanding (?) the disc, because the system
> don't step to the second bios-screen (where the system info is listed in a
> tabular).

There are lots of little things that can go wrong with a disk install that
we may miss.  The best way I have found to make sure it writes correctly is
Chris's live install CD on the system in question.
http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=17  Also, you may want to play in the
BIOS with LBA mode on, and off.

                        Lee