[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PC doesn't boot
 Date:  Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:50:45 -0600
From: "Jan Luehr" <listen at kabelshop dash online dot com>

> > From: <listen at kabelshop dash online dot com>

> > > sadly I've some trouble booting a PC. I gunziped the pc-generic image
> > > and
> > > dd'ed (on Linux) it to a CF-Card. (Some Kingston 128MB card) and tried
> > > boot the system with some IDE-CF adapter. For some reason, the bios
> > > has
> > > some trouble, detecting / understanding (?) the disc, because the
> > > system
> > > don't step to the second bios-screen (where the system info is listed
> > > in
> > > a tabular).

> > There are lots of little things that can go wrong with a disk install
> > that
> > we may miss.  The best way I have found to make sure it writes correctly
> > is
> > Chris's live install CD on the system in question.

> Thanks, but so far, I see no reason, why dd on linux should mess up the
> image.

Assuming you did a "gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad0
bs=16k" then you are right.  However, the most common problem here is using
/dev/ad0s* and writing to a partition.  The live install also allows you to
see the filesystem as m0n0wall will see it.  "atacontrol list" will confirm
it is actually ad0, and not some other device.

                        Lee