[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Douglas Stringer <dougstringer at mac dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VoIP Priority on "Mobile" system?
 Date:  Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:55:42 -0500
Hi...

I'm looking for a unique solution to an issue that most likely can't
be easily solved with M0n0wall.. but I thought I'd post it anyway.

We are using m0n0wall in a mobile system that is moved around the
country every day. At each place, we encounter a different type of
internet connection. Sometimes it's a T1, other times cable, or DSL.

We have about 50 users on the LAN with laptops and several VoIP
ATA's... just "Vonage-like" units that give us phone service over
internet.

We are looking for a way to help keep our VoIP packets prioritized
above our data packets.

When we try and use the traffic shaper, we are asked what our current
upstream/downstream rates are. All that would be fine but we are not
able to modify these settings on a daily basis.. it's too much to do.

We can put the VoIP on a different LAN (OPT) but I don't think that
this will prioritize the traffic....

Anyone have any ideas?

Doug

dougstringer  _a t __   mac.com