[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FW: m0n0wall blocks incoming UDP 500
 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:56:52 -0600
The test involved two computers.  One located on the LAN in my office,
the other computer located on the LAN of another location/office using a
different ISP.

I used VNC to control the off site office computer, and I used my own
workstations in my office to conduct the test.  First, I started with a
simple port tool.  Basically, the port tool could listen on any port
number (that was available) and using the same tool on another computer,
you can connect to that port and do a simple text only data exchange
(like a simple IM conversation).  The port tool works for both TCP/UDP,
a great way to test a port connection between two computers.

I first killed the lsass.exe process on my workstation so I could grab
port 500 UDP and have the port tool start listening on that port.  I had
m0n0wall do a map of port 500 directly to my machine and a firewall rule
to allow all UDP/TCP connections through.  I then took control of the
off site office computer and used the port tool to try and connect to my
WAN IP, which redirected back into my PC where is has the same port tool
listening on port 500 UDP for data.  The off site computer was able to
make a connection but no data could be exchanged, so I switched the
tools to port 501 UDP, when into m0n0wall and changed the port mapping
to port 501 now.  Tried the experiment again and got connected with no
problems on port 501 UDP.  I was able to send simple text back and forth
between the two computers, so 2 way data communication on port 501 UDP
worked just fine.  I then switched back to port 500 and again, no data
could pass.  I could establish a connection (according to the port
tool), but when trying to send data (like hi, hello messages), they
disappeared into the void, never came out on the other end.  I then
switched the port tool to listen on port 500 TCP this time.  I had the
off site computer try to connect to the same port 500, but this time TCP
data stream.  The connection was a success and simple text messages back
and forth verified that data could flow in both directions.  I then
tried ports 502, 503, 504, 505 UDP to just see if maybe it was just my
computer.  But every time, anything other than port 500 worked just fine
in the test.  I then decided maybe my computer was the cause of the
problem, so I used the port tool over my LAN and UDP 500 connections
from one computer to another on the same LAN worked just fine.

I didn't have any trace or packet sniffing going.  Mainly, was just
doing a quick experiment so I could say "mine works just fine", but
turns out it didn't, LOL.  I wanted to do a more real world test of data
exchange using programs and computers to get a quick yes or no if mine
worked inbound on port 500 UDP.  So far, it's the only port I've seen
that does this.  Granted, I didn't test all 65535 ports because I just
don't have the time, hehe.  I don't have any spare m0n0wall boxes that I
can do a good test on since the other one is in production and didn't
want to mess with all the office traffic to test this beyond the simple
port testing for two way data exchange.

Maybe the ISP was blocking it or maybe their ISP was blocking it, but my
ISP doesn't have any block rules and the other one is just as open on
port usages as well. It is strange that I have the same port 500 UDP
behavior problem that he is also experiencing.

Thanks,
Michael