[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Cameron Powell <powellca at onid dot orst dot edu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall Hangs
 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:27:33 -0500
Cameron Powell wrote:
> I'm not sure what exactly is going on here at all, but m0n0wall has saved my
> life up until earlier yesterday. For some freak reason, the router just
> stops responding. I restored the factory defaults and it still seems to
> display the same problems.
>
> When I plug the router directly in to my computer I can access the webGUI
> and everything works fine. As soon as I plug in the rest of the network all
> goes to hell, and nothing works. The webGUI immediately stops responding,
> and nothing gets through. This behavior just started happening recently, and
> the only thing I can come up with is maybe there is a faulty NIC that just
> can't handle the workload.
>
> Here is the Set-up:
>
>        m0n0wall Box:
>        Intel P-II 350Mhz
>        196MB Ram
>        Some Hard Drive (Unknown Stats)
>        Generic NICs (No idea what they are, but they were working) | 1 leads
> to the DSL modem, the other leading to the 1st floor switch
>
>        2 D-Link DSS-16+ Switches on the 1st and 3rd floors
>        1 D-Link DSS-32+ Switch on the 2nd floor
>
>        The second and third floors run through the 1st floor switch.
>

> 	<interfaces>
> 		<lan>
> 			<if>fxp1</if>
> 			<ipaddr>192.168.1.1</ipaddr>
> 			<subnet>24</subnet>
> 			<media/>
> 			<mediaopt/>
> 		</lan>

Hi Cameron... On FIRST glance it seems to me that someone on your
network has hijacked the IP address of the LAN interface of your m0n0wall.

Try this:

- UNplug the m0n0wall from the network
- Open a command prompt on a machine that is connected to the network
- Type:  ping 192.168.1.1

If you see a return then track it down. This is your culprit.

Alternatively, you can change the IP address of your m0n0wall, but I
would hunt down the 192.168.1.1 machine to get closure. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity