[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DHCP client not registering in DNS forwarder
 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:57:43 -0600
I recently added a new host to our network. The computer is an IntelMac OS X (10.4.5) that is
getting its ip address assigned by m0n0wall. The computer's network settings are identical to other
computers on the network except for client_id. However, the client_id does not register anywhere in
m0n0wall.

I've read that OS X can not register in the DNS if the DNS updates are secure. Are m0n0wall's DNS
updates secure? What does this mean? And why would my other OS X computers register OK. I also read
that OS X only sends Options 53, 55, 57, 61, 51 and 12 when making a DHCP request. Could that be the
problem.  I've posted to the Apple support forum but have not yet received a response.

Is there any way to try and force the registration without assigning a static ip address to the
computer and then manually adding the ip address to the DNS forwarder.

Here are the relevant m0n0wall settings:

------------ start info ------------

DHCP enabled on LAN
no WINS servers specified
no default or max lease time entered

DNS forwarder enabled
Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder enabled

Log information:
I can see the computer requesting an ip address but there isn't a name listed. The other computers
show the client name in parentheses after the MAC address.

Example :
 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.10.37 from 00:16:ab:01:f2:81 via rl1
 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.10.36 from 00:05:54:28:26:2b (buffy) via rl1

DHCP lease information.
The ip & MAC address show up in the DHCP lease table but Hostname is missing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

t.