I am having a problem where I can't get mail through my mail client or
through webmail which goes like this;
- Can get to www.mydomain.com
- *Can't* get to www.mydomain.com/webmail
- *Can't* ping mail.mydomain.com
- *Can't* tracert to mail.mydomain.com - Any tracert that I do will fail
outside the m0n0 which is strange. It gets about 6 hops in and then failes
1-2 hops short of the destination.
- Can Telnet to mail.mydomain.com 25
I can get to all these locations from any other computer that is not behind
my m0n0wall. I can also perform all the tests to places like yahoo, google,
microsoft and other domains that I use with no problems.
It is a little strange as all this has been working for as long as I have
had the m0n0 which is about 2 years and only with the recent update has all
this stopped working. I don't have any rules that would block mail or
anything else complex. My setup is straightforward and simple. It is as
- LAN - 192.168.1.1
- WAN - Dynamic from ISP - PPPoE
- DMZ - Static address from ISP - This is using 1:1 NAT.
The only inbound NAT\FW rules are for;
If Proto Ext. port range NAT IP Int.
port range Description
WAN TCP 25 (SMTP) DMZ IP (hidden) 25 (SMTP)
Allow SMTP to DMZ
WAN TCP 80 (HTTP) DMZ IP (hidden) 80
(HTTP) allow http to www server in DMZ
WAN TCP 3389 DMZ IP
(hidden) 3389 allow RDP to DMZ
WAN TCP 3390 LAN IP (hidden)
3390 RDP - dev
WAN UDP 5060 LAN IP (hidden)
5060 Allow SIP
WAN UDP 16382 - 20382 LAN IP (hidden) 16382 -
20382 Allow RTP
I have spent ages troubleshooting this with my ISP and Domain Registrar and
there seems to be no problems there end. Also the fact that I can take my
machine anywhere outside of my network and get 100% functionality seems to
show its a localised problem.
I have tried doing snaps in the fw logs as I try to connect to mail, ping
and tracert and I can not see the traffic being blocked which is even more
I am stuck for ideas on how to troubleshoot this further and I am open to
suggestions to get this resolved. Please let me know what further info would
be useful in troubleshooting this.
Thanks for any assistance in advance.