[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fred Weston" <fweston at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  System requirements / tweaks for maximum performance
 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:57:22 -0500
Hello all,

I used to use m0n0 quite extensively a few years ago but haven't used
it recently.  I was wondering what the minimum recommended system
would be to ensure that adding m0n0 in between my LAN and the Internet
will not adversely affect throughput or latency.  A friend of mine is
running m0n0 at home with 5mbit cable and notices that his speed
diminishes an average of 1-1.5mbit when using m0n0 vs directly
connecting to the cable modem.  He is running a PII 266MHz with 64MB
RAM.  This is what has kept me away from using m0n0, but I am in need
of an inexpensive VPN solution, so thought I'd ask if this is typical
results from using older hardware or perhaps just something screwy
with his config.

I noticed this same problem when using m0n0 previously on generic x86
boxes, but strangely when using m0n0 on soekris net45xx boxes the
problem disappeared.  So basically, I would like to know if I should
be ok with a few hundred MHz, or do I need to invest in something a
bit beefier.  I am planning on one mobile VPN user and one or two
IPSec tunnels.

Thank you for any advice.

-fw