[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Per Westerlund <p1 at westerlund dot se>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic shaping: UPD or TCP bandwith measurements?
 Date:  Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:17:31 +0100
Hi,

I am about to start using traffic shaping. I have I reliable tool to
measure throughput using an ADSL link. Should I use the UDP or TCP
numbers when configuring the pipes?

The link is rated at 512 kbt/s. Typical numbers, end-to-end:

	Upload:514 kbit /s UDP, 300 kbit/s TCP
	Download: 500 kbit/s UDP, 495 kbit/s TCP

I assume that it is the UDP figures that are the important ones, the
TCP figures (I guess) tell me that there are queues somewhere else
between my system and the reference site.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

/Per Westerlund