[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] System requirements / tweaks for maximum performance
 Date:  Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:02:07 -0600
From: "Fred Weston" <fweston at gmail dot com>

> I used to use m0n0 quite extensively a few years ago but haven't used
> it recently.  I was wondering what the minimum recommended system
> would be to ensure that adding m0n0 in between my LAN and the Internet
> will not adversely affect throughput or latency.  A friend of mine is
> running m0n0 at home with 5mbit cable and notices that his speed
> diminishes an average of 1-1.5mbit when using m0n0 vs directly
> connecting to the cable modem.  He is running a PII 266MHz with 64MB
> RAM.  This is what has kept me away from using m0n0, but I am in need
> of an inexpensive VPN solution, so thought I'd ask if this is typical
> results from using older hardware or perhaps just something screwy
> with his config.

What load and other hardware?  For example, VPN takes some horsepower.
Traffic shaping takes some power, and a bunch of ram.  Cheap nics offload
all of the work onto the CPU.  IRQ conflicts kill speed...  That said, I
have some very heavy load applications on duel T1 connections hammering away
at wire speed using P2 450s 3com nics, and 128 meg of ram.  I also have a
BUNCH (20 or so) of newer systems with 800mhz Durons 256 meg (for future
growth) and realtek nics.

                        Lee