[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS Forwarder when used with DNS overrides causes internal machine to think it's hostname is the override domain
 Date:  Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:02:39 -0600
Hi,
I've noticed something that seems odd to my logic but maybe others can
explain it to me.

I'm using the DNS forwarder service of m0n0wall, plus I'm using the
option to have m0n0wall "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder".

I've put in a lot of DNS overrides so that I can surf websites within
the LAN properly in my web browser.  Basically pointing the domain names
back in to the local IP so I'm not typing IP addresses all the time to
view websites sitting behind the firewall with me on the LAN.  One
machine hosts a few dozen websites so there are a lot of entries that
point to it's LAN ip.  The machine uses DHCP to get it's IP address and
it's a addresses that is always assigned by m0n0wall (pseudo static LAN
basically).  The web machine already has a host name set for it, but for
some reason when it gets it's IP information from the DHCP of m0n0wall,
it thinks it's hostname is the first entry in the DNS override list.

So for example, the web machine's hostname is set for "webserver", but
the first of the DNS overrides for m0n0wall is "blah.com" points to ->
192.168.0.100, the machine will think it's hostname is now "blah.com"
instead of "webserver".  It's odd because it's only the first entry in
the list.  If I remove the entry, the next one somehow finds itself to
be the hostname of that machine.  The machine is running Linux and I've
looked through all the IP config stuff and I can plainly see that the
hostname is set for "webserver".  All other times, the web machine will
have the right host name if I remove all the DNS override entries, but
when they come back in, all of sudden it thinks it's the other name now.

It's not hurting anything at the moment because the websites all work
just fine.  It's just weird to see it on the command console
root at blah dot com instead of root@webserver.

I'm not really sure how or why those overrides find their way to rename
the hostname of the machine, so any theories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
**