[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot De dot Graeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  "Krzysztof Syguda" <ks at koszecin dot net dot pl>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Captive portal dont work when proxy server is conigured in web browser
 Date:  Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:43:01 +0100

A Proxy request isn't the same as a normal http request, (somebody
correct me if I'm wrong) but normally this 'solution' shouldn't work.

Only 'solution' I can think about is setting up a proxy on the lan,
redirect every traffic to the 'internet' port 8080 on the m0n0wall to
the proxy and setup authentication on the proxy too.

> I have tried it with Linux box and it is no problem to redirect http
> request to from client to server running on 8080 port to any server
> running on port 80. I have no idea how to implement it in bsd and
> captive portal.

This won't work. The proxy will be authenticated instead of the real
client.

> Many people use proxy in their network and in this case they can not
use
> m0n0wall captive portal because it is very uncomfortable for clients
> switch on proxy in browser to log in and then switch on to log on.
>
> I use www proxy server in my network to balance traffic between  two
ISP
> - it is elegant and simple solution.

I use a proxy too but AFTER the captive portal in a different segment
and fully transparent to the user.

> Do somebody have some ideas how to tell m0n0wall that requests send to
> specific port (e.g. 8080) are http too and it should handle it as
> request send to 80 tcp port?
>
> KS

If anybody has a cleaner idea to solve this problem I'm willing to
consider implementing this into m0n0wall

J.

--
Jonathan De Graeve
Network/System Engineer

> Paul Taylor wrote:
>
> >The captive portal works on a MAC and IP Address level.  If you are
> running
> >the users through a proxy server, they are hitting the proxy and that
> >machine (the proxy) is performing the web surfing on their behalf.
If
> the
> >proxy is getting out, I'm assuming you've configured the captive
portal
> >have a pass-through MAC or IP Address for the proxy.
> >
> >There really isn't anything to fix, as the captive portal is working
as
> >designed.
> >
> >Perhaps if you can explain the way you want things to work, someone
can
> >offer a suggestion on how to achieve that.
> >
> >Unless you are saying that people who have their web browsers
configured
> >use a proxy server (at another location?) aren't hitting your captive
> portal
> >page when they come to your business, and therefore can't surf.  I
don't
> >really know of any fix for this, if that's the problem, other than
having
> >the end-user reconfigure their browser to avoid using a proxy server.
> >
> >Paul

he