[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "MonoWall-General List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mail problems - need advice please
 Date:  Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:21:31 -0500
On 3/16/06, Phil <xphilz at gmail dot com> wrote:

> The domain and mail servers are hosted externally. So internal clients are
> accessing the external mail servers in the same fashion as connecting to a
> mail server at an ISP.

That makes things easier.  going back to the originally described problem:

> - Can get to www.mydomain.com
> - *Can't* get to www.mydomain.com/webmail

Those two combined just screams server issue (HTTP is HTTP, from the
firewall's perspective).

> - *Can't* ping mail.mydomain.com
> - *Can't* tracert to mail.mydomain.com - Any tracert that I do will fail
> outside the m0n0 which is strange. It gets about 6 hops in and then failes
> 1-2 hops short of the destination.

this sounds like there's a firewall or router in front of
"mail.mydomain.com" that's dropping both of the above.

> - Can Telnet to mail.mydomain.com 25

So, looking back now, it seems the only real issue is you can't access
"www.mydomain.com/webmail", though it works everywhere else on the
Internet?

Might be helpful to send the actual URL (to me offlist if you'd like).

-Chris