[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Opt1 link problem on net4501
 Date:  Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:10:13 -0500
On 3/17/06, Keith Maxon <keith dot maxon at gmail dot com> wrote:

> i plug an access point to opt1 with a standard cable, it will not get link.
> If I take that same cable to my laptop, I get link. If I
> plug the access point into a switch, it gets link. There is not a
> hardware problem, but a link issue of some sort. I was thinking I need a
> crossover cable,

You do indeed.

> but it does not immediately make sense as I get link when I
> plug the access point into the switch.

Yeah, as it should.  Switches and hubs are different from access
equipment like routers, firewalls, access points, PC's, etc.  To
connect like devices (i.e. a switch and a switch, or a router and a
firewall or a router and a PC, etc.) you need a crossover.

Your laptop has to be auto MDI/MDIX or connecting the AP to the laptop
wouldn't work either without a crossover cable.

-Chris