[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeppe Oland" <uxorious at acon dot dezign dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: 2nd (public) IP on the WAN interface?
 Date:  Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:02:02 -0800
> >Are you using the correct address for your cable modem. Most of the
> >modems I have seen use 192.168.100.1 not 192.168.0.1.

Yes I am (It is a Zyxel 645 DSL modem).

> Some Modems *must* be disconnected from the CATV to be contacted.
> The cable modem IP address 192.168.100.1 is not in the same
> sub-net as the user's PC. So, when trying to send to
> 192.168.100.1, the user PC's IP stack will normally route the
> packet to the Default Gateway address at the UBR. Since no
> routes exist to the private address
> 192.168.100.1 (and there are multiple instances of this IP
> address on any one CATV segment), the UBR drops the packet.

I have tried adding a little switch on the other side of the router, and
with the 2nd LAN in my PC with a static 192.168.0/24 address out there, I
can access the web and the status page at the same time.

Technically speaking it is not a bug since m0n0 doesn't support 2 IP's on
the WAN interface ... I would just really like it to work (even if it
requires a hack).

> You Could add a static Route.

I tried that - but as far as I can tell it still tries to go to the GW that
the modem gave out.

Interestingly, it I traceroute to 192.168.0.1, I get a reply from the m0n0
LAN, and then one from the modem/ISP GW.

If I add a static route on WAN to 192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.0.1, and then
traceroute, I get no reply after the m0n0 LAN.

Now if I uncheck the "WAN / Block private networks", the traceroute will go
out via the modem/ISP GW again.

And if I now edit the static route (don't actually change it - just save and
apply), the trace stops at the m0n0 LAN again.

Something fishy is going on :(

Regards,
-Jeppe