[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Dugas <paul at dugas dot cc>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP through NAT
 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:08:12 -0500
Been meaning to spend tim eon this for a while but never managed before
last night.  Didn't get much time actually but I think I followed all
the directions without success.  Figured I'd ask.

I have m0n0 boxes at home (running 1.21) and at my office (running 1.2).
The home unit is connected via PPPOE through a DSL modem (bridging, not
routing).  At the office, the DSL line comes into the ISP's Netopia
router.  The internal side of the Netopia is connected to the m0n0
router which is then connected to the office net.  The line below
depicts the connections.

{home}<->[m0n0]<-PPPOE->{ISP}<-PPPOE->[Netopia]<->[m0n0]<->{office}

The Netopia is setup with the WAN IP of the office m0n0 box as its
"Default Server" and no other "Pinholes" are setup.  Both m0n0 boxes are
setup to using Inbound NAT to forward HTTP/HTTPS/SSH/IAX to internal
servers and that has been working perfectly since day one.  Both boxes
are also setup using the traffic shaper with the wizard rules modified
only to add additional queues to prioritize the VoIP traffic.

Now, what I'm trying to do is get the PPTP server going at the office.
I've set it up according to the docs and have setup a WinXP machine at
the house to connect.  It's failing with error 732, could not agree on
PPP control protocols.

What I'm wondering is if the intermediate Netopia router could be
munging things somehow.  I'm seeing lots of entries in the system logs
on the office m0n0 box when I try to connect.  I see a few "LCP:
SendConfigReq" entries and their dumps then "call cleared by peer".
Seems like the client isn't getting the config offers and is aborting?
Make any sense?

Any input would be appreciated,

Paul
--
Paul Dugas, Computer Engineer                Dugas Enterprises, LLC
paul at dugas dot cc        phone: 404-932-1355     522 Black Canyon Park