[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Hardware Requirements/Suggestions
 Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:54:36 +0000
Sea wrote:
> I am thinking of using Monowall as a replacement for our current Watchguard
> Firebox.
>
> We have 70 users and host our own own email server.  We use webmail
> extensively.
>
> What hardware would people recommend for using Monowall on a network of our
> size?
>
> I've been looking at the hardware supplied by Logic Supply.  What type of
> network environments have others put monowall to use with?
>
> http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/73
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

We run m0n0wall on a 60+ PC network. m0n0wall qute happily handles all
our internet traffic (both NAT and routed) which includes
m0n0wall-m0n0wall ipsec VPNs, Terminal Services and Exchange 2003 (with
SSL webmail) among other things.

m0n0wall is installed on a recycled Dell Dimension desktop which has
128MB sdram, a PII 233 MHz processor and multiple 3Com PCI Nics
(3C9505-TX or equivalent). For our other sites and customers we use
Soekris net4501s or net4801s. We ought to use a Soekris here, if only to
free up some space in the server rack and some electrical power.

The WRAP is a good product but the case is an after thought and we could
never get the assurances we were looking for from PC Engines that the
cases met CE mark standards.

As you are looking to buy new hardware, you might be best with a the
Soekris net4801. Additional cost isn't much and it should see you
through any extra demands placed on hardware with new m0n0wall versions
for sometime to come.

Best regards
David