[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Per Westerlund <p1 at westerlund dot se>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaping: UPD or TCP bandwith measurements?
 Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:18:38 +0100
16 mar 2006 kl. 22.59 skrev Chris Buechler:

> On 3/16/06, Per Westerlund <p1 at westerlund dot se> wrote:
>>
>> The link is rated at 512 kbt/s. Typical numbers, end-to-end:
>>
>>         Upload:514 kbit /s UDP, 300 kbit/s TCP
>>         Download: 500 kbit/s UDP, 495 kbit/s TCP
>>
>> I assume that it is the UDP figures that are the important ones, the
>> TCP figures (I guess) tell me that there are queues somewhere else
>> between my system and the reference site.
>>

> Where did you get the differing numbers between TCP and UDP?  Without
> knowing what methodology is used and why they differentiate, it's hard
> to say.

I was using the program "TPTEST" (old version available at
(sourceforge), for which I have several reference servers easily
accessible.

> Usually you put your actual rated line speed there, and it looks like
> you get close enough to line speed that it should work that way.

I used the UDP-based figures, and it worked like a charm. In a test I
got 30 ms ping RTT w/o load, and 1500 ms RTT with load. After
enabling  the traffic shaping, applying the "Magic shaper wizard" and
adding my own definitions for hated upload and download, I got ping
RTT in the range 45-100 ms, which I easily can live with.

/Per Westerlund

P.S. Using m0n0wall 1.21, generic-pc-cdrom D.S.