[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] two quick questions
 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:10:00 -0600
It's a little tricky, what it does is create a "pipe within a pipe" for
each computer on the LAN to the WAN.  So if you had a 1.0 Mbps download
pipe from your ISP, normally given two separate computers hitting two
separate websites at the same time, the website with the fastest
connection would get more to the first PC (say it's  upload pipe was 2
Mbps) than the slower connection of the second PC (say it's upload pipe
was only 512 Kbps).  So an actual test may show the first computer
downloading at 768 Kbps, where as the second PC was only getting 256
Kbps download from it's website of choice.  What that option will do is
break the pipe up into (2) 512 Kbps pipes for the two computers and if
both hit those websites again, both computers will get a 512 Kbps
download from their website of choice.  This doesn't mean it's limited
to 512 Kbps per PC, just that the bandwidth will be split under full
load to each computer instead of "first come first serve" packets.

This can also be done for the source pipe itself, but that's tricky and
only works if the pipes are split but the total bandwidth is greater
than the splits.

Hope that isn't too confusing, kinda confuses me explaining it, but I
think I said it correctly, LOL.

Thanks,
Michael