[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Westall 327 W Bridge mode
 Date:  Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:17:10 -0600
From: "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>

> I am thinking I should be able to disable the router functionality, so
> to speak, by putting the device into bridge mode. I basically want to
> use what I have strictly for Dsl modem and rely on the m0n0wall as the
> primary firewall and end point for VPN tunnel.

> Has any used this Dsl modem before and if so, can you give me some
> direction.

Not a 327, but I have done a 6100...  From a long lost web page;

disabling routing on westell 6100, modem

backstory:
verizon dsl
westell 6100 dsl router
model number C90-610015-06

first hookup your westell 6100 dsl router/modem
standard power/phone/cat5 out to your computer nothing in between (like
another router or something)
you computer should be set to receive an ip address automatically (dhcp)
your comp will get an address like 192.168.1.47 or something
you can check this by opening a command prompt ( start ---> run ---->
command --- press ok)
you'll get a black screen with white letters type: ipconfig (then press
enter)
you should get something that looks like this:
(if you don't you may need to reset the westell 6100 dsl router/modem, you
can do so by pressing the tiny
button on the back with a pen or something)

Windows IP configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com

westell 6100 )

you will get a prompt for username/password:
the defaults are --->
username: admin
password: password

You will get a splash screen asking you to change your username and
password.
(This is a good idea since straight out the box they are common knowledge.)

Press the Change button (after you get that all filled out.)

You will then be taken to a connection overview page.

You'll see something like:

Connection Overview

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) xxxx KBits/Sec by xxx KBits/Sec

Connection Name Connection Status
Routed Bridge UP (release) (renew)

Click the (release) button to free up that public ip.

Should reload quickly back to almost the same page, but connection status
will be down.

Next from the top menu select: configuration ----> DHCP configuration

In this menu change DHCP Server from Private Lan to OFF

Then click the Save button once the page reloads.

Click ok at the save and reconfigure DHCP prompt box.

Next from the top menu select: configuration ----> VC configuration

You'll see:

Status VPI VCI Protocol
------------------------------
enable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)

bridge broadcast (checked)
bridge multicast (checked)
spanning tree protocol (unchecked)

(save filter settings)

Click the edit button of the only one that is enabled, it was the first one
on the list on mine.

You will get a popup configuration window.

You can leave the top section alone, look specifically at the VCx - Bridge
Settings

Look for the Mode: on the drop down box change the mode from router bridge
to bridge.

Then click set VC

Click OK at the Set this Bridge VC configuration.

Click Ok at the "The modem must be reset in order for the new configuartion
to take affect"
"Do you wish to reset now?"

You'll get a splash screen saying "Resetting Modem"

If you wanna make anymore changes in there, now is the time. Otherwise close
your browser window.

If you just want you desktop to get the public ip address simply
release/renew or disable/enable or network connection in windows.
(If you don't know how to do this, restart your computer and it will do it
for you.)

If you do another ipconfig you should now have a public ip address not the
gay 192.x.x.x address

If you want to add your own wireless or regular router hook it up and have
it grab the public ip address and then pass out it's own dhcp
addresses or whatever floats your boat. The westell 6100 dsl router is now
simply acting as a modem.

Keywords for your google search:
westell 6100, C90-C90-610015-06, router, turn off, dsl problems, wireless
router, Verizon, second, additional, can't get my router to work with.

You are welcome,
A.J. CNB