[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] gigabit hardware sizing and intel 82573 driver support
 Date:  Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:15:32 -0600
From: "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>

> Are you suggesting I leave it as dual core and use the regular pc image
> and m0n0wall just won't take advantage of the second core? If that is know
> to work that would be the best path.

The Generic PC image will work fine on a duel core chip.  A custom build
with SMP support, however, is not that hard a thing to do.  You have plenty
of CPU either way, unless you need a lot of encryption.  I am worried about
bus speed.  Will your backplane push the data that fast?  The PCI-e NICs
might be a good thought.

                        Lee