[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  gigabit hardware sizing and intel 82573 driver support
 Date:  Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:10:55 -0600
I would appreciate a second set of eyes to verify that I properly speced (overkill is OK) a box
capable of gigabit speed between interfaces. Also I'm concerned about Intel 82573V being support
supported.

Background:
We need a total of 6 interfaces with 1Gb between 3 of them, 2 interfaces will be 100Mb and the final
one could be anything. I know this computer has more CPU power than we need but scaling down the
processer to a single core P4 doesn't even change the price a $100.

In addition to basic firewall functions we will have captive portal on the 100Mb interface for
wireless access (via AP) and will have 3 site to site VPNs to other m0n0walls. This machine must be
rackmountable.

Machine Details:
CPU:  Intel Pentium D 920 (2.8GHz, Dual Core, 2MB/Core L2 Cache, EM64T, 800 FSB)
RAM:  512MB (2 x 256MB) Unbuffered ECC DDR2-667
NIC:  Dual 10/100/1000 Mbps NICs (Intel 82573V) - Integrated
PCI-X - 64Bit/133MHz:  Intel PRO/1000 MT Quad Port Server Adapter
SATA HDD Mounting:  2 x Fixed Mount HDD Bays
Hot-Swap HDD 1:  None
Low Profile CD-ROM OR IDE Disk on Module:  512MB ATA100 CF Module
Floppy:  None
Rail Kit:  2 Piece Ball Bearing Rail Kit
O/S:  None
Size: 1U

Comments are appreictaed.

Tarun