[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tim Vaughan" <talltim at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Hotspot/radius using m0n0 captive portal: does this setup seem sensible?
 Date:  Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:01:52 +0100
I've been asked to help install a large wireless network at a
community education project I volunteer at.  My current plan is to use
m0n0wall with a switch connected to the DMZ interface.  Coming off the
switch will be several WRT54Gs with the network cable plugged into one
of the LAN ports, making them all transparent bridges.  The plan is
that anyone can choose the strongest wireless connection and will then
authenticate via the captive portal on the m0n0wall with its own
RADIUS server.
Is this a sensible setup?  It seems to me to be the simplest way of
covering a large area with a wireless network and still permitting
authentication and user management.
Any better ideas would be gratefully received!

Tim