[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Recommended wireless hw for a pc-based monowall?
 Date:  Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:56:44 -0600
From: "Jan Gundtofte-Bruun" <jan at g dash b dot dk>

> I'm looking for advice on what wireless adapter to buy for use with
> monowall.

> I know that m0n0.ch lists compatible devices, but I hope that you folks
> can
> supply "value-added" information with experiences of real-world usage.

> This is for my home network; I would like either PCI or USB (preferably
> PCI)
> and am paranoid enough to want WPA (though my knowlegde on the topic is
> quite
> limited). Currently I run monowall on an Epia-based pc, and my clients are
> both Windows and FreeBSD computers (as well as a Squeezebox).

I have many wireless locations behind m0n0wall, and have tried a lot.  The
one thing that causes problems in internal cards.  Not only is m0n0wall
limited it what it can support, it does not do it well.  It also does not
support ANY G based cards, or WPA.  It also can be a bear to troubleshoot.
So I started looking at access points behind an ethernet port.  This gave me
all the latest wireless stuff, and a spot to sneak into the network for
troubleshooting.  However, some are better than others.  What I am favoring
now is a v1-v4 Linksys WRT54g or a WRT54gl with Tofu firmware.  Sevsoft
breaks captive portal, and the stock firmware does not give you as much
configuration, like transmit power...

> At some point I may replace the monowall pc with a Soekris box. (Another
> question: can I use a PCI wireless adapter in a Soekris, or is that PCI
> slot
> solely for their own multi-port boards? That's a question for a different
> forum, I know.)

I don't know, but an access point will connect.

                        Lee