 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hotspot/radius using m0n0 captive portal: does this setup seem sensible?
 Date:  Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:23:42 +0200
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:01 +0100, Tim Vaughan wrote:
> I've been asked to help install a large wireless network at a
> community education project I volunteer at.  My current plan is to use
> m0n0wall with a switch connected to the DMZ interface.  Coming off the
> switch will be several WRT54Gs with the network cable plugged into one
> of the LAN ports, making them all transparent bridges.  The plan is
> that anyone can choose the strongest wireless connection and will then
> authenticate via the captive portal on the m0n0wall with its own
> RADIUS server.
> Is this a sensible setup?  It seems to me to be the simplest way of
> covering a large area with a wireless network and still permitting
> authentication and user management.

I'm working on a partly simmilar projekt - except that it's not
accessable to the public.

The WLAN itselt is going to be using olsr running on wrt54g(s) boxes
running openwrt.

I'm properbly ending up using pfSense as gateway instead, as it should
have support for olsr build in I've been told.

I'm goin to use vpn (propobly pptp) to connect users to the gateway, and
further out into the internet.

> Any better ideas would be gratefully received!

If it's better, beats me - it's a different way to do it. the
olsr-protocol connects the nodes that can reach each other, so routing
can be done over multible paths, to ensure that we can get a connection
even though a link is down for some reason.

--
Henning Wangerin <henning at hpc dot dk>