[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "Jan Gundtofte-Bruun" <jan at g dash b dot dk>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Recommended wireless hw for a pc-based monowall?
 Date:  Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:44:56 -0600
I am adding the list back into an ongoing discussion to share the
information.

                        Lee

From: "Jan Gundtofte-Bruun" <jan at g dash b dot dk>

> <quote who="Lee Sharp">
>> An old adage I love...  There is nothing harder than an "easy" solution.
>> And
>> it's corollary... There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" fix. :-)
> Heh, you are so very right. I've been using FreeBSD at home for about a
> year
> now ... "using" is perhaps too strong a vord for "eternally learning and
> configuring". :-D But at least it's interesting!

> I'm still at a loss regarding the WRT's. Maybe this should go to the
> general
> mailing list (and it will if you say so):

> I can't figure out the diff between the WRT54G/GL/GS, I'd like to buy one
> that's compatible with HyperWRT and/or OpenWRT. But:
> - First of all, I can't figure out if some WRT model is ready for both, or
> if
> it is truly a "one or the other" choice?

Well, Tofu works on the G, and Thibor works on the GS.  None of them work on
V5+  You only know by serial number.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10230 or
http://www.wrt54g.net/pages.php?p=guide_version

> - Second, I am very worried that if I buy one (online or in a store), I'll
> end
> up with the wrong model. How do I tell these things apart, from looking at
> the
> outside of a product box?

The serial number above will tell you what you have, and this page tells you
about them.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

> - Lastly, do any of these offer captive portal?

The HyprtWRT based software does captive portal.  But m0n0wall does so much
more.

> I know these a probably banal questions, but I've read and read 'till I
> was
> all cross-eyed, and I am more confused than enlightened... :-/ Sorry if
> I'm
> being a pain.

Are you kidding, it took me months to find all this shit. :-)

                        Lee