[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <aprose at yostengineering dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Configuration Help: Public IPs on LAN side
 Date:  Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:29:23 -0500
Hello all,

I'm trying to configure our new webservers online behind a new m0n0wall system.  What I want to do
is have our servers with public IPs (no NAT) on the LAN side of the firewall.  I understand that to
do that I have to enable advanced outbound NAT, but I seem to be having a routing problem that I'm
not sure is related.

From my ISP I have a /27 starting at A.B.C.224.  My router lives on A.B.C.225/27 and is working
fine.

When I first received the firewall, I hooked it up, set the WAN interface IP to A.B.C.226/27 and
left the LAN side alone.  Machines on the LAN side received IP addresses via DHCP and were able to
access the web and everything seemed to be fine.

Once I was sure everything was working, I switched the LAN interface IP to A.B.C.227/27, enabled
advanced outbound NAT and set up an internal (LAN side) machine at A.B.C.230/27.  This machine is
able to talk to the LAN interface of m0n0wall with no problems, but can seem to get no further.
Also, it seems I can no longer ping anything past the WAN interface from the firewall itself.

I'm sure the problem here is something simple that I'm overlooking, but I'm stumped.  Can anyone
lend a hand?

Thanks!

Aaron