[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] VPN bug in 1.21
 Date:  Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:15:46 -0500
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Jason King [mailto:jking at informs dot com]
Verzonden: donderdag 16 maart 2006 21:43
Aan: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
Onderwerp: [m0n0wall] VPN bug in 1.21

I didn't get much of a response from this earlier so I've decided to
submit it again with a different subject.

I think I have found a bug in 1.21. I have been using 1.2 for a while
now. These are the points of interest.

I have 2 IPSec VPN connections connecting us to 4 different hosts. Both
of these tunnels work perfectly on 1.2. The only time these connections
go down is when there is some problem on the remote end, not with the
m0n0wall.

Having said that, I tried upgrading a month ago to 1.21 which was
running off of a PC. I switched the firewall that previous night and
started it up and tested connectivity, everything appeared to be fine
(didn't check the vpn connections). Came in the next morning and I was
getting complaints that users couldn't get to those remote hosts through

the IPSec VPN tunnel. So I checked the tunnels. One of the tunnels was
up, but one was not. I called the remote host admins and asked what
could be wrong. They told me nothing changed on their side and so since
the only thing I changed was from 1.2 to 1.21 I decided it must be me.

Anyway, I took down 1.21 and put the 1.2 back in place. Both VPN
tunnels came up just fine and people continued to working.

I recently got approved for a soekris net4801 with the vpn1411 addon
board (joy). I decided I would try the net48xx version of 1.21 and see
if that made a difference. It was no different. This time I tested the
VPN connections before I left and discovered that the same problem as
before was still there. So I had to flash my CF card with 1.2 instead of

1.21 and bring the soekris up with 1.2. There again, both VPN tunnels
came up fine.

Jason