[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Authenticate Windows Client
 Date:  Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:30:56 +0100
Marc R. Meshurle Jr. wrote:
> Anyone experience or have a problem authenticating a windows client (XP
> PRO) to a Windows 2003 network? One behind a m0n0wall (where the Win2003
> Svr is located) and the XP machine is behind a Sonic TZ 170. The XP
> machine was configured on the LAN behind the m0n0, then taken to the
> field. It logs in, but no network resources are available. Not sure if
> this is a routing problem, or something I may have not checked in the
> m0n0 config.

How is the XP client accessing the network behind the m0n0wall?

We had the reverse problem with a client. We have a m0n0wall, they have
a Sonicwall. The Sonicwall is configured to pass PPTP traffic through to
their Windows2000 server where the client to network VPN is terminated.

We found that if we used to PPTP to access the network for support, our
VPN connection would authenticate, but then some traffic wouldn't pass
over the PPTP tunnel.

RDP was the main problem and we found the MTU value on the Sonicwall was
set quite small. This was discovered by sending increasing size pings
through. Increasing the MTU solved the problem.

I have read somewhere that login traffic on a Windows 2003 domain can
use high packet sizes, I believe there is a registry hack to control
this which you could look for on Google which may help. Our only
experience of authenticating clients over a VPN is a m0n0wall to
m0n0wall IPSec vpn.

Best regards.
David