[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  boink <lordboink at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0bsd at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Mini-BSD for WRAP: can't boot from CF further than FBSD 6 Welcome screen. PXE?
 Date:  Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:32:29 +0200
Dear m0n0,

Project:
Build a FreeBSD 6 - based router with quagga on a 3-port PC-Engines
WRAP board.  Build (host) machine is FreeBSD 6.0 GENERIC.

Primary reference:
miniBSD 6.x Guide by David (?) at
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=125 (v similar to Manuel's
minibsd document, but updated for FBSD 6).

Departures/options from the doc:
1. Commented the CFLAGS+= -DTERM_EMU option for the boot loader, and
recompiled it
2. Skipped Building Dynamic Executables (space is not so tight)
3. Skipped copy of stripped-down /etc/services and /termcap files.
4. Left beastie menu options intact in /usr/minibsd/boot/loader.rc
5. Skipped custom kernel - using GENERIC

Problem:
The WRAP only boots as far as here:
PC Engines WRAP.1C/1D/1E v1.12
640 KB Base Memory
64512 KB Extended Memory

01F0 Master 848A 3SYSTEM SSSCF032MAA
Phys C/H/S 496/4/32 Log C/H/S 496/4/32
-
FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot: Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 640kB/64512kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@...net, Fri Mar 31 15:50:40 CEST 2006)

<plus a bit that disappears too fast to copy>

        Welcome to FreeBSD!
1. Boot FreeBSD [default]
2. Boot FreeBSD with ACPI enabled
3. Boot FreeBSD in Safe Mode
4. Boot FreeBSD in single user mode
5. Boot FreeBSD with verbose logging
6. Escape to loader prompt
7. Boot FreeBSD with USB keyboard
8. Reboot
Select option, [Enter] for default
or [Space] to pause timer  8

None of the Boot FreeBSD options works (I simply get a '/' echoed to
the screen); reboot fails to reboot the WRAP.  I can '6. Escape to
loader prompt' - but not boot.

There are patches for the boot loader noted in the m0n0bsd hacker's
guide, but don't know whether these same patches apply to FBSD6.

I'm going down the CF route because I haven't successfully managed to
get the WRAP to boot from PXE - although this would be preferable.

The problem is that I don't fully understand what needs to be present,
and where, in order for the boot process to succeed.  I thought that
building the image in the jail would give me everything I needed on
the CF, but I must be missing something.

Can anyone advise?

Best wishes,
boink