[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  IPsec VPN Configuration
 Date:  Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:00:31 -0400
Hello all,

I have had a VPN setup between 5 locations for a few months now, and I
have been having quite a bit of trouble. The VPN is not heavily used,
but it is used continuously by a proprietary client/server program. Each
location sends/recieves around 75 megs / day.

All of the locations are using m0n0wall on a WRAP appliance, and are
running firmware version 1.2. The main location with the server is the
"hub" of the VPN, and has a static IP address. IPsec is configured on
the hub appliance as "Mobile".

The hub's identifier is FQDN="location1 at domain dot com". I have entries for
the other locations in the preshared keys section if the hub as
"locationX at domain dot com" with the X being the location numbers. The
preshared key value is the same value for each location.

The branch locations are all dynamic IP addresses. Each has an IPsec
tunnel set up identically - with the only difference being the FDQN
being "locationX at domain dot com". There are no entries under the "preshared
keys" tab at the remote locations.

The branch locations also have software installed on the PCs that ping
yahoo, and ping the server's address at the main location once a minute.

The main location's subnet is 192.168.1.0, and the branch locations are
192.168.X.0 respectively.

The problem that I have been having is that the links seem to fail after
a while, and they do not automatically re-establish themselves. I have
not been able to figure out why. I have not seen any horrible error
messages in the log files, and I an not sure what to do next, or if I am
doing something wrong.

Any advice would be wonderful as I am at my wits' end (and so are my users)!

Thank you,
Andy Zook