[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitor and Manage multiple M0n0's
 Date:  Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:10:40 -0500
From: "Chris Flugstad" <chris at cascadelink dot com>

> As to the people who responded about editing the xml files.  That is a way
> to do it.  Just very time consuming.  What the question was, was to
> automate and manage remotely.  Editing a file and logging into each and
> every box would take hours, as well as confusion of which boxes you had
> already logged into.  If you had 30 boxes like Lee here, you'd understand
> why load config files manually would suck.

You really kick yourself when you flip it around, and remotely upgrade one
WITH THE WRONG NICS!  ARGH!!!!  Then drive an hour and a half across Houston
with a screaming client...  Many times I wished there were two config files;
One for hardware config, and one for settings.  Sigh...  I just don't wish
it enough to do the work. :-)

> Basically, Im wondering if there is the ability to have a server that
> could issue config files, and to load the m0n0wall with a basic config
> file which would allow it to boot up and accept a new config file.  This
> would make easy for setting up multiple boxes a day.  Also, if you have a
> change to make across the board, on 30-100 boxes, you dont wanna do that
> manually.  If you dont have a problem, you can volunteer to work for me ;)

You can create an image with a custom default config.  Assuming you are
building a bunch of machines with the same nics, you can make a single
image, and just push it down.  Or, make one system the way you want it, and
then use PowerQuest Drive Copy, Ghost (or whatever) to replicate.  However,
I still do it manually.  I have to get in and change the BIOS anyway.
(Turning off things that use IRQs helps a lot)

                        Lee