[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] question on maximum amount of ethernet ports
 Date:  Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:33:21 -0500
On 3/29/06, max cherry <max dot cherry at xs4all dot nl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering what the upper limit on the number of physical ethernet
> ports supported by m0n0wall v1.21 is. I happen to have some quad port NICs
> lying around and if I install all three of them in one box I have 3x4 + 1
> (onboard) = 13 ports (which I admit is a silly amount).

32 is the maximum supported.

> When I boot
> m0n0wall, it doesn't want to recognise any port past the 7th one.
> fxp0-fxp6 are OK but fxp7 fails with a message like this:
> fxp7: <Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0x1040-0x107f mem
> 0x40100000-0x401fffff,0x40500000-0x40500fff irq 10 at device 5.0 on pci5
> fxp7: Failed to malloc memory
> device_probe_and_attach: fxp7 attach returned 12
> (repeated a couple of times for different memory ranges and irq's)

FreeBSD 4.x gets very unhappy when hardware devices share IRQ's or
other resources.  As you've seen, this isn't an issue in FreeBSD 6
anymore.  But I would imagine this is why you're having issues with
the rest of them not being usable.  If you disable unused devices in
your BIOS, you may be able to get a few more of them to work.
Otherwise you're pretty much stuck, unless you can find something
pertinent hitting Google Groups with the above failed message.