[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitor and Manage multiple M0n0's
 Date:  Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:54:01 +0200
On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 08:05:50PM -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:

> I was one, and I am pushing 30 boxes out there now.  And if you think users
> is bad, I just had version control bite me in the backside!  Anyway, after

Sounds like a job for cfengine.

> looking a long time, there is nothing at all out there.  I was thinking of
> building some scripting stuff using the "make something not totally unlike
> a shell" in m0n0wall, and bash for windows.  That is as far as I have gone.
> :-)  Time to get a small subgroup of interested people together and work on
> this?

What I don't quite understand is the frugality. OpenWRT runs
on 32 MBytes of RAM and 8-16 MBytes of flash, and still offers
a package depository. I consider a system such as wrap about
the lowest end for a residential line. Wrap has -- what?
64-256 MBytes of RAM, and takes pluggable flash. It should
be able to take quite a number of additional tasks, without
compromising security and leaving the core task set of a
firewall.