[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  need help with retransmits and lost frames through m0n0 1.21
 Date:  Wed, 05 Apr 2006 03:00:01 -0400
Hi all!

I'm getting ~125-250kbps between two 100Mbps ethernet interfaces on a m0n0 1.21 install i'm working
with.  The code running off of a bootable cd on a 800mhz dell workstation.  The LAN interface is
using the fxp driver (i'm not sure what kind of card exactly), and the DMZ interface is using a
netgear card (sis driver).  Both interfaces are attached to Cisco switching gear, the internal to a
Cat 5505, the DMZ to a Cat 2924xl, everything set to autonegotiate.

I've disabled traffic shaper, checked the 'interface polling' box, looked for collisions or other
indications of duplex issues on the ethernet ports, and i haven't found anything.  I ran a capture
on both sides to compare packets of a file transfer, and i'm getting an enormous number of
retransmits on the 'DMZ' side...it looks like i'm somehow losing frames coming from the DMZ back to
the LAN (sis to fxp).  I have four cards total, and i notice the same performance issue coming from
another sis card back to the LAN.  This happens regardless of the system or OS used on either end of
the communication (RedHat, Debian, Win2k, XP, Solaris).

I'm going to try an Intel or 3com card on Thursday when i return to the office.  There are four
cards total, three sis and the one fxp, i suppose it could be an interrupt or other issue on the
firewall, but i would think the polling would reduce or eliminate that...it had no noticable effect.

Any hints/tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Bob