[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Monitoring bandwidth - SNMP / M0n0 / Debian (MRTG)
 Date:  Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:34:35 -0400
I have been trying to more closely monitor my network in order to better
get VPN and traffic shaping under control. I found the bandwidth monitor
built in to M0n0 to be a little lacking for this purpose.

As it turns out, the feature on the M0n0 menu called SNMP can be used to
send info to a remote server to monitor bandwidth.

I am sure that many of you already know this stuff, but it was new to
me. I have not played around with SNMP prior to today.

First, this is assuming you already have a working Debian machine that
is running Apache.

You need to set up a program called MRTG on your Debian machine. You can
do this by issuing the command "apt-get install mrtg"

Next, configure your M0n0wall under the SNMP menu.
- Enable SNMP
- Enter your Debian system's IP address in "system location"
- Enter your email address as the system contact
- Leave community as "Public"

Then, you need to configure MRTG
- Issue the command - "cfgmaker --output=/etc/mrtg.cfg xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
(x's being ip address of M0n0wall) at the Debian prompt.

Next, issue the command "mrtg".

Now point your web browser to "http://debiansystem/mrtg" and find the
appropriate html file.

Happy monitoring!