[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James Ingham" <james dot ingham at orange dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  SSH on v1.11 of m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:44:42 +0100
Hi All

I could really do with some help. I am trying to do something very simple,
which is allow SSH access to a Fedora box on my internal lan to a friend.

On the Firewall I have created the following rule:
Proto     Source     Port     Destination           Port
Description
TCP      *              *          192.168.1.12      22 (SSH)      NAT MCE

And on NAT I have:
If         Proto     Ext. port range     NAT IP             Int. port range
Description
WAN  TCP      22 (SSH)             192.168.1.12      22 (SSH)          MCE

I am running v1.11 of m0n0wall, which I know is not the latest version, but
I was unable to get a very old version of Cisco VPN client to work with
later versions of m0n0wall, which I have to use for connecting to my work
place.

From a PC on my LAN I can telnet to 192.168.1.12 and get the SSH login, so
Im pretty sure that it must be the firewall... I dont have anything fancy
set up on the firewall (no PPTP etc).

However, if my friend telnets to port 22 of my WAN IP address, he basically
just gets a timeout.

I should state that I enabled logging on the firewall rule and I can see
that the firewall appears to be successfulyl passing traffic from my
friends' IP address to 192.168.1.12, port 22. This makes the whole thinig
even more confusing!!

Any help would be very gratefullly appreciated.

Many Thanks
James