[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Latency problem with high usage
 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:17:03 -0400
Hi all,

I have a general troubleshooting problem, and perhaps it just stems from
not knowing what I am doing.......

First of all, my equipment:
M0n0 1.22 on a PC Engines WRAP board
DSL internet connection

I have been trying to develop a traffic shaping scheme to keep the
latency at a reasonable rate for my VPN connections.

Prior to traffic shaping, every time someone would use their internet
connection hard (or in one case a salesman was regularly connecting his
laptop with a nasty virus), latency would go through the roof, and more
often than not the VPN connection would go down.

I have been monitoring the ping times for a week, and have been trying
numerous traffic shaping schemes to see if I can improve things.

I began by testing the connection speeds of all locations - multiple
times and through several services. I came up with a top upload and
download speed, and then used the magic traffic shaper wizard - setting
the upload and download speeds at 10% less than the speeds I was getting
with the tests.

Things seem to have improved, but my latency still triples when I drown
out the connection with speed tests. I have checked my CPU usage on the
M0n0wall, and it never goes beyond the 10% marker.

Does anyone have any clue what I can do to improve things? Am I missing
something? Is it my internet provider who is at fault?

Any help would be wonderful. I am pulling out my hair over here!

Thanks,
Andy