[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Ryan Wagoner" <Ryan at wgnrs dot dynu dot com>
 To:  "Pierre-Yves Maunier" <pierre dash yves at maunier dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] possible reverse lookup bug
 Date:  Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:03:19 -0400
Yes I'm using DNS Fowarders in monowall.

OPT1 -

From LAN I do nslookup and receive jellyfish (monowall).
From OPT1 I do nslookup and receive jellyfish (monowall). If I do nslookup I
receive server can't find

I came across this when I did a traceroute from a machine in OPT1. It shows the IP for
OPT1 which doesn't resolve to a hostname.

traceroute from OPT1
traceroute to www.google.com (, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1 (  0.460 ms   0.371 ms   0.454 ms
 2  L100.DSL-01.WASHDC.verizon-gni.net (  27.428 ms   32.676 ms   32.869 ms

tracert from LAN
Tracing route to www.l.google.com []
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  jellyfish.mydomain.local []
  2    29 ms    30 ms    29 ms  L100.DSL-01.WASHDC.verizon-gni.net []

I guess what I'm getting at is the reverse lookup for the OPT interfaces should resolve to the
hostname of monowall (jellyfish).

Hopefully this makes sense now.